Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Hello, Nice to Meet You


I'm a little sweaty right now. If you're reading this, chances are you are too. I'm a 26 year old young professional living in Los Angeles and I have hyperhidrosis.

As I was drifting off to sleep last night I thought, "I should start a blog about me being a sweaty girl living in LA." Konk out. Wake up. It was the first thing I thought of when I woke up. Let's do this.

I haven't met a single soul who has this condition. Sure I've met people who sweat a lot but I've seen them all wear sandals. That's my true test for hyperhidrosis-- you are terrified to wear sandals. I want to meet people who have to alter almost every part of their lifestyle to accommodate for the fact that they sweat. I have to rely on reading what others with hyperhidrosis have to say on the internet. I want to connect with this world, add my two cents and hopefully contribute a few laughs.

My ideal setting is 65 degrees with a cool breeze. I don't care if I'm freezing. I'm just fucking ecstatic that I'm not sweating. My go to outfit is a pair of TOMS that can soak the sweat from my feet, jeans that never show a crotch stain, a tank top under my tshirt to wick away sweat and a cardigan to cover my pit stains. I NEVER wear grey. At the age of 19 I had endoscopic surgery to stop my hands from sweating. I now have the joy of horrendous compensation sweating. It's a trade off.


I'll share my embarrassing stories, tips for covering the sweat, and the inner dialogue of a fellow sweater. I'll try remedies and share the results. And, the fun part, sex and dating as a sweaty girl. My kind of a guy runs the air conditioner year-round. A fan in the bedroom is a must.

Above all else though, I want to talk to you. We each experience this shitty condition differently but it's nice to know we're not alone. Let's sweat through it.

Cheers,
Sara

8 comments:

  1. Great blog hope you continue with it! And thank you for your kind words and advice on my site stop by anytime I have another one that tells a little more about me http://sharineh.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sara,
    I just stumbled across your blog and wanted you to know it's been really comforting to know that there are others out there with hyperhidrosis. (I also don't know anyone else with the condition.) I have the condition all over my body but mostly on... wait for it... my face! How horrendous. I've bookmarked your page for to sit down and read - from start to finish - when I get the chance. Please keep sharing your stories. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anne-- Thank you so much for stopping by! And more importantly for leaving a comment. I think having a space for others to share their experiences will be beyond valuable. I'm sure your face sweating gives you a beautiful glow. If you've seen a doctor for HH, have recommendations or remedies please be sure to share them when/if you feel comfortable. I'm learning a lot through others by way of this blog, following on Tumblr and Twitter. All really fascinating and comforting.
      Cheers!
      Sara

      Delete
  3. If i could stop the sweating on my feet, hands, or armpits, I'd choose armpits. They sweat even in the winter. I'm glad you started this, 'cause literally, only my dad and brother are the only ones i know that have this problem too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gabriela-- Thanks for stopping by! Interesting your dad and brother have it. I know it's hereditary but I don't know anyone else in my family with this issue. At family reunions everyone is wearing sandals comfortably it seems. And it's not something I like to talk about so I haven't heard of anyone mention a sweaty ancestor, hah.

      Delete
  4. I stumbled upon your tumblr and I love it! There doesn't seem to be an ask box on your tumblr, so here I am haha your openness is refreshing and comforting. I spend so much energy fretting about my HH or thinking of ways to minimise its effects, and it is so great to see you posting those funny anecdotes with reaction gifs :) I spent a good hour laughing and thinking "YES. Exactly!!". So, basically I just wanted to say thank you. It is fantastic to see a place where HH is discussed, vented about and shared with kindred spirits xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you found it funny. I worry sometimes I'm the only one who relates to it. So awesome!

      Also, thank you for pointing out the ask questions feature. I'm slowly getting my footing on Tumblr. I updated it so people can contact me now.

      Please feel free to leave more comments throughout the blog. I hope this becomes a space for sharing and feeling less alone.

      Cheers,
      Sara

      Delete
  5. Hi.
    I am so glad I've found your blog...it's good to know that I'm not the only one with this miserable problem.
    I recently created a blog and finally took the courage to write something about this disease.
    Take care!

    http://iamcarmenflower.blogspot.ro/2013/01/my-two-cents-on-botox-injections-for.html

    ReplyDelete